Saturday, November 7, 2009

The Face that Launched a Thousand Bees

Notes: I changed the hive entrance reducer to the medium entrance size this morning. I've started to see a few wingless wonders again. I will do a mite count starting tomorrow AM.

Yep, that's the queen's name--Helen! It came to me this morning as I watched the bees launching themselves in and out of the hive entrance. At the same time I was trying to think of the perfect queenly name for my queen. It had to connote both beauty and power. Elizabeth? No, too virginal. Hippolyta? No, too exotic. Victoria? No, too petite. Hmmm. Then, while I watched the sun reflecting off of the bees, they glowed golden and I thought of glistening Roman soldiers and the Mediterranean, and I had my name! Kari will be so relieved that Helen is no longer nameless.

No comments:

Post a Comment