Friday, February 26, 2010

The Wingless Wonders Return

With the explosion of the bee population in our little colony, we're starting to see deformed wing virus again. I saw a live bee with deformed wings get carried off by one of its sisters today. I've never seen that before-- it was a little disturbing. I think it's early enough in the season to treat the bees without tainting the honey. We'll have to ask Alan about this before breaking out the thymol, and I plan to do a sticky board test this weekend.

Other spring cleaning items will be re-coating the hive bodies with boiled linseed oil and wax and splitting our colony for the first time. Very exciting.

Today, we're heading over to my dad's to put the final touches on the top bar. It just needs a roof and then it will be ready for a package! Time to order some bees I think. Tim is beginning the adventure of building a combo hive, which our current colony will soon call home.

No comments:

Post a Comment