Sunday, October 4, 2009

A Career Change?

I haven't been great about writing lately. It's not that the novelty has worn off; more that I just get so worried about the bees, and watching them sometimes makes me sad because of the dead bees that I often find on the hive or in the moats. We know that a lot of bees die each day; with a population in the thousands, tens must attrit daily. Okay, I understand. But seeing unhealthy or drowned bees really brings me down. I was at Green Gulch (GG) the other day and paid their bees a visit, and they didn't seem to be suffering and dying in the numbers that mine are.

On the whole, I am trying to be honest and accepting of my bees, and I think I'm doing okay. I just have to remind myself from time to time that this is how my bees are, and all I can do is my best to learn about them and help them.

Today they seem lively and busy, bringing in lots of pollen. There were no dead bees on the hive or languishing nearby, and I relaxed into my initial wonder and admiration of the bees.

I heard a radio show today about young people returning to the land and farming their own food. I was inspired and glad to think that people care so much about their food and the animals and plants that provide it. I was excited to think that I am in some very tiny way part of this movement. It made me want to buy a farm and raise chickens and a garden and bees and write and sew for a living. It made me want to call my dad and beg him to buy some land for us to build on. What a lovely life--all of us on a big plot of land, living close to our livelihood. It also made me grateful to have the partner I have, who might actually be open to a different lifestyle. But it also reminded me how courageous you have to be--and dedicated--to actually make it happen and what a shame it would be if we never do make it happen. How sad to maintain the 9-5 when so much richness exists outside of it...

No comments:

Post a Comment