Thursday, March 18, 2010

All Gone from the Top Bar Hive

I was pretty confident that all our bees had settled into their respective homes and I haven't been keeping a close eye on them, but then about 20 minutes ago I heard the now distinctive hum of bees and wondered what was up.  I could see a swarm of bees high (really high) up in Chad's pine tree and couldn't believe that they were ours. The old hive and the split looked normal with no fanning bees at the entrance. Perhaps it was a swarm from somewhere else? But then I looked in the TBH and it was empty!!! I guess Jessica's fears have been realised - our bees don't like the TBH. The bees are too high in the pine tree up to retrieve, so it looks like after all our efforts we are going to finally have say goodbye to some of our bees and hope they find a good home somewhere else.

1:50 pm update: I just saw the bees take off and head south from Chad's pine tree. They really have gone.

This is a shot of them high up in the pine tree as they take off to leave:

No comments:

Post a Comment