Wednesday, March 17, 2010

A Bee Garden

Today I planted a bee garden. This past winter, I bought seeds with the idea of creating a potted garden full of pollen and nectar so that the bees would find food close to home when they first ventured out after the winter. But winter in our part of California is a rather benign thing, and our bees foraged all winter except on very cold and rainy days. They were swarming by February, which is when I had envisioned starting the garden.

Well, I finally got some seeds in starter pots today. I planted Blue Boy Cornflowers, Pepperbox Breadseed Poppies, French Thyme,  Persian Violet Nigella, Whirlybird Mix Nasturtiums, and French Lavender. I also have some sunflowers and alpine strawberries, which I hope to get started next week. Thanks to Julie for the strawberry pot. 

I tried to pick things that the bees would really like, but I had a slightly selfish bent too; after the flowers die, the poppies and nigella leave behind gorgeous seed pods.


No comments:

Post a Comment