Thursday, March 18, 2010

Too bad, so sad

As Tim has filled you in, the TBH bees absconded today. I am more upset about it than I would have imagined, mostly because it's so mysterious, and I fear I won't figure out why they left, not to mention all of the work that went into building the hive.

I'm trying to peel away my disappointment and worry to expose my curiosity. I have lots of questions...Why did they leave? Was it too drafty with the screened bottom? Maybe they don't like us spying on them (we probably look in through the windows once a day). Or maybe it's the wood we used or the glue? Perhaps they are just confused bees. I don't know, but it seems serious because they left behind a lot of comb, which you wouldn't think they would do without good reason. One thing is certain, the bees will do as the please!

The really disappointing thing is that the TBH was our strongest colony. I worry about the strength of the remaining hives since they are the results of multiple swarms. I took a peek into the old hive today, and they haven't even started to draw out the frames in the super. Will we get a honey harvest at all this year? And what about the TBH? Bees have left that hive twice. Should we try to introduce a package?

So many questions! Maybe a bit of sleep will help.

No comments:

Post a Comment