Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Hive inspection notes

I briefly checked the split, the TBH and the combo hives at lunchtime today. Here is what I saw...

Split: small stores, lots of drone brood, and horror of horrors, a queen cup! I also saw a bee emerging from one of the capped cells. I need to treat this hive for varroa. There are wingless wonders about, and I have actually seen mites on the bees. The bees are in the lower box only, but it seems pretty full; I'll be making deeps this weekend.

Combo hive: a whole frame of honey, loads of bees on all of the frames, gajillions of uncapped larva. This hive rocks!

TBH: The bees seem fine. They have not released the queen yet, but she seems to be in good health--workers were mobbing the queen cage and have eaten a good bit of the mini marshmallow.

No comments:

Post a Comment