Thursday, April 22, 2010

Keeping it All in the Family

Today my Aunt Chris and Uncle Mic became beekeepers! They mentioned that they were interested in beekeeping when we got our first colony last fall, but I was still surprised and delighted when Uncle Mic called me a couple of weeks ago to say that they were ready to start a hive.

I offered them Martin's nuc, and for about a week we talked a lot about bees and how to prepare to start a colony. Then, about a week ago,  I looked in the nuc and saw a gorgeous solid brood pattern across four of the five frames. It was evident that the colony was about to explode with new bees and that they needed to get into a full-size hive as soon as possible.

When I told Uncle Mic, he got right down to business building his hive boxes. He and Aunt Chris came for dinner tonight and left with Martin's nuc strapped to the bed of their pick-up truck! (Thanks for the loan, Martin. I promise we'll get the nuc box back to you.)

Dad (left) and Uncle Mic strapping the bees into the truck bed!

Me with the proud new owner of several thousand bees!

My dad asked if I was sad to see Martin's nuc go. In a way I am, but mostly I'm just thrilled that the bees are going to people who are enthusiastic about them. And it makes me so happy to think of what an amazing season of discovery Uncle Mic and Aunt Chris are about to begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment